Thursday, February 12, 2009

Daily Life



This photo is the longest suspension bridge in the world. It is called the Akashi Bridge and it is only 2 miles from my house. Beautiful! 


Just thought I would write a little something about how the professional side of my stay in Japan has been going.

First of all, I am very fortunate with my school and living situations. They are both comfortable and convenient. I live only 7 minutes from the school and train station by foot, and once I get a bicycle in the spring it will only take about 3 minutes! It is really wonderful.

The other teachers at my school, and my manager, are all so sweet and helpful. We have an all female staff, which is actually very warm and welcoming and I like a lot. The students are top of the line. They all really want to learn and also want to get to know you. I love hearing their stories and seeing how happy they get when they are able to teach me about Japan. It is a very interesting exchange because I am teaching them English, but in turn, they are teaching me culture. I really can't thank them enough. 

I have mostly upper level and discussion courses but I do have a couple of low and beginner classes. I teach about 27 classes a week, including private lessons, give or take. It really is not very difficult, but it is challenging.

A few things that my students taught me:

In elementary school, tax dollars pay for children's school lunch. They are NOT allowed to bring lunch from home and all must eat the same thing. Also, they wear cute little hats and uniforms. Trust me...it is the cutest thing ever.

Valentine's Day is a day here where the women get the men chocolate. It is to men they love, but also to men they respect, such as bosses and friends. Because of this, the department stores have so many people in them trying to pick out the perfect box of chocolate for their loved one. 

Department store basements are full of delicious foods. My students told me that one of them gives out food to try. Sure enough, they do. Kind of like samples in the US- but more food. It is interesting and delicious.

Sushi can be, and is very often, eaten with your hands... NOT chopsticks. However, sashimi is eaten with chopsticks. Japanese throw away over 6 million pairs of chopsticks every day.

There are many more facts and interesting info on Japan that I have been told, but I will have to post an addition to this later. It is nearing the time that I will be required to work...so I must go.

3 comments:

  1. I hate eating sushi with chopsticks! I can't operate them properly...lol. I'm glad that I eat it the "right" way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sounds like a fun night. Glad you recognize "sketchy" when you see it.
    "Ladies gifts"!?, you are so spoiled. Next stop Ise, Nikko, Tokyo. Hope classes are going well. Enjoy.
    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with krystal on that...i suck at chopsticks so next time im out and people see me eating sushi with my hands and say something im gonna be like "well this is how they get down in japan."

    ReplyDelete