Friday, April 10, 2009

They say a smile is contagious, not in Tokyo.







I have been falling behind in my Blogging and for that I am truly sorry! So two weekends ago I decided that it was about time I visit my friend Anthony in Tokyo. I knew that one of the days he was going to have to go to work, but that was okay with me because I would see him after work and would be able to spend the day exploring the city.

Before I was very apprehensive about going to Tokyo for a few reasons. First of all, I had thought long and hard about where I wanted to live when I came to Japan. I was lucky enough to come with a company that let me choose my region. I made the decision of Kansai and specifically 'near Osaka'. I love where I live in Tarumi/Kobe, but I was afraid that upon venturing into the big BIG city, I my love for my Medium/Large city would pale in comparison and I would be endlessly jealous of my friends in Tokyo.  Secondly, I didn't know how the best and cheapest ways to get there were and how to best utilize the short two day weekend that I would get once I got there.

To comment on my feelings for Tokyo. I have decided that Tokyo and I are going to be acquaintances but could never be best friends. First, Tokyo has way too many people. I felt like, and did, in fact, wait in a line to do everything. If you wanted to get a quick bite to eat...wait in line. If you wanted to get on a train or in a cab.... wait in a LONG line. IF you wanted to cross the street... LINE! It was something that made ME feel antisocial (which is super abnormal for this Chick). There were also so many people just walking on the street. In Sannomiya, where i go to eat, shop and hang out with friends in Kobe, is often crowded; especially on weekends. However, this was just out of this world. The main dilemma I faced here was that people would bump into you and get in your way or cut you off when walking and would not say they were sorry. This is very strange for me to do. I didn't want to stand out in Tokyo more than I already do being foreign so I had to learn quickly how to be impolite! In Kansai, we are very polite and always excuse ourselves when we get in another's way.  

I was told that the personalities of people in Tokyo are different than those in Kobe. That was 100% true. The people here are so lively and friendly. They are often outgoing and very nice. In Tokyo, people either seemed too busy or just plain cold. They say a smile is contagious, not in Tokyo. 

There are two positive things about this mass of a city. One is named Elizabeth, and one Anthony. These are two of my high school friends that I have managed to stay in touch with since our days at our 'beloved' East Lake High School. And to think...we would all end up in Japan. :) Elizabeth is working at Disney Tokyo...which is an awesome job by any standards and Anthony is also an English teacher...that you probably remember from a previous blog when he visited me! :) These two and I reminisced and enjoyed each other's company for many many hours over dinner at Tokyo Downtown Disney. The restaurant was fun, but didn't altogether feel like Disney. Elizabeth was great and is now happily married to a man that I hope to meet soon! She has lived here and in Hong Kong... both amazing... and both she loves. Anthony is still doing well, teaching away in Tokyo. We have a lot in common and always have fun when we get together, so this Tokyo trip was no exception.

Just so you know, from Shinjuku, where Anthony lives, to Disney, took two train transfers and about 1 hour and 30 minutes, and that is just to get across town. WHAT??!! 

On the whole day I had to explore the city I just walked around. I went to Shinjuku-goen, which is the big park in Shinjuku  and here is where I saw some of the first Cherry Blossom trees of the season! They were beautiful and I wish that Anthony didn't have work so we could grab a bento and a blanket and lay peacefully under the blossoming trees. The only strange thing I saw with Shinjuku park was the fact that there were a lot of homeless people. In fact, there was a tent city set up, but there were tons of people just leisurely eating their lunch and taking photos of the trees with a tent city of hundreds directly behind them. If you want to see the photo please ask me, because I think the dichotomy was striking. 

Anthony was a great tour guide though, and on his day off he took me to Harajuku and Mejii Shrine as well as Shibuya to explore and see the busiest crosswalk/intersection in the world. We also rode on the infamous Yamanote line (the busiest train in Tokyo). It was crazy!
Overall, The first trip to Tokyo was a success because I was able to see both Anthony and Elizabeth and explore. So far, my opinion of Tokyo is wavering, but there is still plenty of time for it to redeem itself!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear from you again. I share your feelings regarding Tokyo. It is a very exciting city, but as you say, crowded. Not unlike Manhattan, at times too busy and hectic which carries over to the residents. Glad you had friends in place to take the edge off. It takes a bit to adjust to the city but in time one can get comfortable. My shock was starting my trip with 2 weeks in Tokyo!
    We received your postcards and are very appreciative. Thank you for including us in your adventures. By now you must be pretty comfortable in your home turf. Enough to see the contrasts from town to town. We miss you lots and we're glad to hear that your Mom is making plans for a visit this summer. A dream come true for both of you. Looks like you've had good weather and are getting out a lot.
    Looking forward to your next report and the details that demonstrate differences. take care.

    ReplyDelete