Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Adventure Weekend: Day 1 Osaka












Last weekend I finally caved in and realized that it was just about time for a haircut. I was apprehensive about getting my haircut in a foreign country due to the language barrier and the fact that I have never had my hair shorter than shoulder length. My friend Lamika had found a small salon in Osaka with a hairdresser that had lived in New York for many years and had been a regular stylist for Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker, as well as working at a salon on Madison.

I got an appointment at 4pm, so I decided to wake up really early and go to Osaka to try to find
English mass at a church. I woke up at 6 am and left my apartment by 7 for the long train ride into Osaka. It was a great morning and the sun was shining just enough to have the perfect light. I followed my directions to find this church, which to me is still a mystery. I got to the location at about 8am and searched for the church until 930 before giving up. I then decided that I needed to head out and explore something new in Osaka. In the distance I saw the Umeda Sky Building. I had never been to the top and I had also heard good things about the basement, where there was apparently a mock Edo Era street with food shops and such.
I started my walk in the direction of the building. The air felt fresh and because it was morning nothing was crowded and the only people on the streets were police, construction workers, and a few morning walkers. A policeman said good morning to me in English which made me smile, and him as well. The smallest things can make a person's day.

Then I reached the building. It was just as grand up close and personal as it was from the JR and from far away. I noticed that on the second and third floor there were two movie theatres that were just about to open so I headed up the stairs to check them out. I decided that I haven't done enough research on any movie that is out in Japan right now to warrant buying an 1800 yen ticket to a movie, so I headed to the basement floor to check out the Edo street.
As I came down the stairs to the first basement level I was surprised at the dark lighting, almost like night, and the narrow streets. It was not very large, only about 3 or 4 streets, but was very interesting and quiet due to the fact that nothing was open yet. I walked through it all and couldn't help but smile because I felt that I had found something special (even though I know many people know this exists).

After this, I saw a shop outside that had something in the window I wanted to buy for my mom, but the shop didn't open until 11am, so I needed to waste another forty minutes. (I still haven't given it to her, so I will refrain from talking about it because she reads this blog). I decided I wanted to go to the top.

At first, I didn't see any sign postings that were telling me how I could reach the top. I headed up the nearest elevator and ended up on the 39th floor of a 40 floor building. From here I noticed many restaurants and a sky bar. The bar had these amazingly large circular, space age type windows. The morning sun was shining in at just the right angle to snap a few photos. I finally figured out how to reach the top observatory and headed up for 700 yen.

It wasn't really worth the 700 yen, but the view was nice and a man insisted to take my photo for me with my camera. It is funny how much some people want you to remember the things you see in Japan and have nice photos of yourself here. They really go out of the way sometimes to insist you have a photo with you in it.

The roof is apparently a good place for romantic couples. You can get a lock engraved with you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife 's name on it and you lock it to a rope that goes around the top of the building. After this, you should sit together on a couch that has two place to touch, one for each member of the couple, and when you both touch the special light up floor says LOVE. It looks like a cute place for photos.

I got a message from Meredith that said we should meet at 1pm at Osaka station to go to the hair salon. I agreed to meet up with them and headed down from the building to get some more exploring in. I bought my gift and had an interesting conversation with the nice man in the shop. He told me that he likes to study English but it is difficult, and I said the same about Japanese. I have been studying a lot recently, and have gotten much better... although, still dreadful in all honesty. He wrapped the gift extra special for me, which was very sweet.

From here I walked to the station and saw a bunch of hiking stores in a row. I went in to check out some gear and some camping equipment as well. Next to this store was another shop with some smaller things, you know, just odds and ends that you don't really need but like to look at and consider what you would do with it. Novelty items really. But here, I found the best thing that I have been looking for for a long time. It was a small flat tin that, inside, had 20 small containers with clear lids. I was seeking something like this because I have decided to collect small soil/sand/dirt samples from the places around the world that I go. I kept some Fuji dirt (ash) and that is my first container. I am so excited to see it full someday soon. 20 countries. :)

After this I met up with the girls. We went to the salon where we met a very interesting Salon Owner. He was flamboyant and wonderful. He pulled out his portfolio, which consisted of magazine clippings and professional photos, a lot of celebrities and some interesting photos in the Meat Packing District of New York. He went on to tell me I have lovely long hair and how he wouldn't cut it short because it was so amazing. haha. It was quite entertaining. When my turn came I got a nice shampoo and head massage (standard in Japan) for about 30 minutes by a very attractive 18 year old shampoo man. The Owner kept making jokes about how he is cute and would be good for me but I would have to change his diapers. I don't know where all that came from, when I told the owner he was being harsh he said, oh it's okay he doesn't understand what I am saying (mind you, they are both Japanese). He cut my hair, quite short compared to how he was talking, but the most entertaining part is that he was cutting out my knots. If he met a knot while combing my hair he just cut it out...which made my hair very short very quickly. AHH!
We paid only 3,300 yen...which is super cheap for a salon here. Then we headed to Namba to shop and explore some more. After that we hit up the cheap 280 yen Izakaya we like we headed back to home to rest up for Day 2 of our adventure, Kyoto, Blog to Follow....
OO we also saw a giant cannibal octopus eating a takoyaki, which is made with octopus...

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey noodle sopa.
    Hope you got my note on Ise and Nikko
    http://witcombe.sbc.edu/sacredplaces/ise.html
    Nikko- many vids on YouTube, google
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&source=hp&q=nikko+japan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=KnkNS8TqO4WVtge_jO3SAg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=8&ved=0CCoQqwQwBw#

    ReplyDelete