Tuesday, November 10, 2009

FINALLY THE DAY HAS COME!





Last weekend was THE weekend. I had gone out with some students and Miho on Saturday after work and we had enjoyed an evening filled with wine, fine Italian food, and good conversation, and the next day was filled with a new kind of adventure.

I had had a couple of students that wanted me to try Kobe beef. As you probably know, Kobe beef is world famous. It is considered by some to be the best beef in the world due to the marbleization of it's meat. The beef owners are able to achieve this by feeding the cow a diet of Sake and Beer and massaging them often. Needless to say they are very drunk, pampered animals for the short time they live. Some of the luckiest beef cattle in the world.

And for this, Kobe is famous.

"Jen," you might say, "Why is it if you have lived in Kobe for 10 months now that you have had yet to try such a delicious piece of steak? Such a morsel of delicious meat should be enjoyed!"

Well to you I say, "I agree there you very smart friend. I see that your mouth is watering at the prospect of such a delicious steak. However, as tempting as this was, the steaks usually range between 80-110 dollars a pop."

You might have just gasped out loud upon reading this information but if you didn't you might now. Some restaurants, for the highest quality, serve their steaks for over 600 dollars each. Mind you, these steaks are not the size of American steaks either. They are about 170 grams.

As I was saying, my students wanted me to go and I was so lucky that they offered to take me. I met up with my student at 2pm. We went to Kobe where we entered a Japanese Sword shop. The art of Japanese sword making was explained to me and I was informed that this shop was owned by my student's friend. The blades of the swords were beautiful and the stamp of the name of the maker was very unique and interesting. Next, we headed to a china shop. However, the regular collector's items are on the first floor, but my student knew the owners and is a very well known member of the community so he was able to take me upstairs where the shop owner showed us rare pieces that sold for anywhere between 150-100000 dollars while we sipped on macha tea.

We headed even further into Sannomiya where we had coffee at a posh cafe in Marui Department store before heading to a local museum. The Kobe Prefectural Museum of Art houses many special exhibits, and, unfortunately, I missed the exhibit I had been wanting to see with Dali art by only 2 days. Now there was all Japanese art. It was still beautiful, even though it was not what I was hoping to see. There were many screens that were painted with crows and tigers and even Geisha. It was very beautiful.

Next we headed into the final destination. It was a smokey shop. The aroma of charring beef filled the air and the surroundings were all stone and dark wood. We took our seats at a table and looked at the menu, which consisted of two types of steaks and the choice of getting them as a set (with sides) or alone. We chose the sets and a beer and waited while our steaks were being cooked up. Out first came a stew. It was made with beef and potatoes. It was very hearty and I didn't want to get too full, but I couldn't help but eating it all. Next, was a salad with a delicious dressing that I still can't quite place.
Finally, out it came. Sizzling on a skillet, a nice big chunk of Kobe Beef covered in onions with a side of green spinach and some potato wedges. The meat was a perfect medium rare and due to all of the sizzling we had to wear a bib.
When I took my first bite I was in heaven. The meat literally melts in your mouth. It was unlike anything I have ever tasted in my entire life. If you had no teeth, you could survive on a diet of pudding and Kobe beef; that is how tender it was.

I will be forever thankful of this opportunity to try the best steak in the world. I suggest anyone in the Kobe area that has a hundred bucks to spare head to A-1 restaurant to try this amazing delicacy. Come Hungry, Leave on a Cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment