Wednesday, January 14, 2009

AH! Whale Sharks!






I found my way on the train to the Osaka Aquarium very easily. When I got on the train and connected to my second train any doubts about being in the wrong place were alleviated by the fact that there were tons of families and children there. As I rode the subway train it went above ground for the first time since I had been riding on the Osaka Subway Circuit. I was able to see the mountains that surround the city and how beautiful the coast was. 

I knew I got off at the correct  stop when I could see the GIANT ferris wheel in the distant skyline and I proceeded to walk in that direction. As I got closer I could see the marketplace and the AQUARIUM! There were a lot of people crowded around outside and, much to my chagrin, a real-life march of the penguins was about to begin! A track was set up in the square outside of the entrance to the aquarium and people lined it on all sides. I walked closer and when I realized what was about to happen I made sure to get in a good position to take pictures!

AND OUT MARCHED THE PENGUINS! There were probably about seven or so of them and they were literally a foot away from me. I could not believe this, how AMAZING! After the march was over I made my way into the aquarium where I paid my 2,000 yen entry fee (*only about $22 in USD). :) 



I was here on a mission: to see the Whale Sharks. 

First you walk through a tunnel tank with fish and stingrays swimming right over your head. Then you walk for a little while without seeing any wildlife. I was wondering how exactly this aquarium was set up, which I very soon found out. I rode up a very long escillator that went to the top floor, floor 8. From here you work your way down through the aquarium with the largest tank (the pacific ocean tank) in the center. However, you don't get to see that tank until about floor 6. The first two floors were otters and dolphins as well as some more penguins. 

The way that the aquarium is set up is by region of the world. So, as you progress through it, you see animals from all over the world. 

When I finally made it to my destination of the Pacific Ocean tank I was absolutely overwhelmed. TWO whale sharks were swimming in a giant tank with other sharks (tiger, hammerhead, and many many more), fish, stingrays, and even a Manta ray. :) In a tank that shared the same water, but was netted off, there was a GIANT manta ray! The Whale Sharks were enormous and I found a seat facing the tank and sat for over an hour just watching the sharks swim around the tank. 

There were so many things to see at the aquarium and far too many to write here. However, if you have any questions please feel free to ask! 

After this, I walked over to the marketplace to get lunch. It was set up kind of like an indoor mall. I bought some sort of Japanese dumpling for lunch which was filled with meat and grilled onions (and possibly other ingredients) and it was so delicious I almost wanted to buy another, but decided I would find something else to try. 

As I was walking though the marketplace, I found a ninja store that not only sold ninja stars and other weapons, but for 300 yen (about $3.20) you could practice throwing ninja stars at targets on a wall! I really wanted to try, but decided it best to wait until I had someone with me to try also. This way I wouldn't be the only one looking like a foreigner. 

After I found this, I found the best and most surprising thing of all! A CAFE DU MONDE! Now, anyone that knows me knows that my mother and her side of the family are from New Orleans.
Cafe Du Monde is a very famous doughnut and coffee shop in New Orleans however, it is not all over the US. Apparently, someone from Japan visited New Orleans, found a Cafe Du Monde, and loved it so much that he decided Japan needed not just one of these, but a whole chain of them here! The only difference is the beignets(doughnuts) are bite sized, which makes them a lot less messy. They are even about the same price- WHOA! How amazing is that?

The more I see, the more I enjoy. I can't wait to share more with you about this magical place. 
I promise to update more tomorrow and again I apologize for the wait!  So I decided to Upload A video this time. WHALE SHARK! ENJOY!!!!

2 comments:

  1. So amazing! Thank you for the incredibly informative and interesting posts...can't wait for the next one. I am hooked. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty awesome pictures and video. Japan sounds awesome. Can't wait to get over there and see you!-Max

    ReplyDelete