Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Food, Films, and Fun



This weekend, on my days off, I went exploring. With my friend Miho I was able to find a true British Pub in the heart of Sannomiya, which is awesome. Good food, good people, good fun. I'll be watching the Superbowl there at 830 am on Monday; Live! :) 

Besides the pub I had my first experience at a Japanese movie theatre. 

As expected, ticket prices were very high, but I had been wanting to see Revolutionary Road for a long time, so it was worth it. The theatre I chose was in Sannomiya and was on the 9th floor of a building overlooking the whole city! AMAZING VIEW. When you get off the elevator, you enter a large lobby with three-story-high ceilings. Here is where you will see the cue set up for ticket purchasing along with ABO (automated box office) machines. Only in recent years have the Japanese turned to the multi-plex for cinematic enjoyment, but boy do they know how to do it right. 

I got in line for my ticket, not exactly sure how to order a ticket. I said one (hitotsu) for Revolutionary Road, and I was lucky that this one has the same title in Japanese and English (sometimes they rename American movies). I got my ticket and for a student discount making it only 1500 yen! (about $15, which is so cheap here). I then was able to choose my seat, since here seats are assigned so the sooner you arrive, the better your seat. (they take this seriously here. If you take someone else's seat, even if there are hundreds more, God help you)

I then moved on to explore my snacking options at both the concession stand and the Crepe stand. :) Although the sweet crepes looked so delicious, I was in the mood for a more traditional movie snack. I opted for a small popcorn and went to order. Again popcorn, one (hitotsu). This time they asked me something back in Japanese. I was in trouble because I didn't know what they were saying to me. I eventually remembered some advice I was given by my trainer about how the theatres here have caramel corn and salted. I responded with salt...which to them was salto... so it all worked out. for 250 yen (about $2.5) I had my popcorn and I was ready. 

I had to wait in the lobby with a slu of people until the theatre would be opened for seating. I browsed the cinema shop, where they sell things related to the movies that are out (right now it is all 007 stuff), and took a look at the free mini-posters which were fun in Japanese. 

Then it was on to my movie when they announced seating. Here is where I experienced the BEST THING EVER. An Escalator that goes up like stairs, then switches to flat, then back to stairs! I have seen moving walkways, and escalators...but never combined! ( I added a picture so you can check it out. 

My movie was great, the sound was amazing, and the Japanese Watchmen trailer was so much better than the American one. Check it out online. This theatre still uses film, but does use digital for its NCM's (for all of you who know what I mean).

After my movie let out, I called Miho to see where she was and if she wanted to meet up to catch a bite to eat. She was on her way to a restaurant with a friend and invited me along. I arrived and the whole walk there they were trying to figure out what it was that we were going to be eating. They knew what it was in Japanese, but couldn't find the right word to explain it to be in English. I said, "No problem, I'll try anything. It really is okay". They were so worried I wouldn't like it.

However, when we got to the restaurant I ate  my words, and a lot more. It turns out that you sit at a table with a burner and they bring out a pot. It is called a hot pot and it has cabbage and green onions in it as well as broth. Then, there was the mystery ingredient, which they eventually had decided translated to 'guts'. Now, in my book there are many kinds of 'guts'. Insides of any kind can be called 'guts'...but these guts, were not guts at all. It was intestine. Cow's intestine, cut into bite sized pieces. Miho's friend loved it and I didn't want to be rude, so I tried a couple of pieces. I can honestly say never again will I have that! It didn't taste horribly, but it was just not something I could see myself wanting to eat frequently. It is not that common here, but it is considered a delicacy and very good for your skin.  No thank you!

So I can now say I have finally eaten something I don't like at all and I have been to my first movie. How exciting. Work is busy, but going well. I'll write more soon!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Cow intestine! hehe! I'm surprised you tried it! hehe! I don't think I would've had the guts (hehe) to try it! I'm glad to hear everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun...better you than me on that intestine dinner. Do you know Grandma Chalmers used to like that! I am sure that there will be more interesting things for you to try. Good for you, giving it a chance. I am so proud of you and am really enjoying reading about your adventures. Just keep in mind that when Max and I come visit, we'll pass on the "guts"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. es-ca-la-tor n. A moving stairway with steps attached to an endless belt.

    Ahem, anyway, the theatre sounds pretty awesome. I can't believe you actually tried the cow intestine! I think I'll have to pass on that one when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that. i don't know why that word was troublesome. Brat.

    ReplyDelete